When 3 became 4 - Hannah's Arrival

On my due date I was booked in for a my final midwife check and advised that I may be offered a sweep with the midwife rather than booking in for this at the hospital. I was in two minds about getting the sweep as it didn't seem to work with Charlie, as he was born a week after the sweep during my first pregnancy. Yet when I completed my check and was offered it this time, I decided to do it, as what harm could it do, it might bring labour on and I was just ready to give birth. I was so uncomfortable!

The midwife advised that I was favourable and could go in the next day or two, as I was already 2cm dilated. I advised that's what I had been told last time too. The midwife advised though that with a second baby things aren't naturally as tight, so it might loosen the cervix and bring on labour. She advised to go home and relax while I could. I decided she was right and with Charlie at nursery and Davy at work, I went home and got a bath. After about 20minutes in the bath, I started to feel pains in my lower back, but I assumed that it was being heavily pregnant and lying in the bath so got up and out. It was nearly time for Charlie and Davy to be home, so I got dinner ready and while I was standing cooking, my back still felt a bit twingey. Again I just put it down to standing while cooking. I told Davy all about the appointment and being 2cm dilated like last time. Davy was a bit more cautious than I was due to my last labour being quick. 

I was sitting on the floor feeding Charlie his dinner at his wee table and felt a cramping pain, nothing too sharp but enough to notice it. I told Davy but then nothing happened again, so I just dismissed it. I got our dinner out and was eating away when I got another cramp this time a bit more of a sharp pain. I again dismissed it as there was no pattern to them. Davy was flustered and trying to get me to ring EOU at the hospital. I declined advising I was not in labour! I was still eating away and got another cramp and then had to stand up as it was a bit uncomfortable sitting down. I then felt like I peed myself and I instantly remembered this sensation with my waters breaking with Charlie. Davy was adamant that I ring EOU. 

I went upstairs and changed and rang EOU and by now the cramps were coming on quicker, to the point I was having to manage my breathing through them, but nothing like the labour pains I had with Charlie so I was calm. I was also still having my waters break with every cramp, so was in the bathroom every time I got a cramp. EOU advised that due to my previous quick birth that I should come over to get checked out. 

We rang my parents who advised they would come straight away to look after Charlie. Dear love Charlie he is my wee shadow and while I was cramping and breathing through the pain, he was trying to copy me with breathing and being on all fours!!

After I rang my mum and dad, the pain of the cramps seemed to intensify dramatically and I knew then I was definitely going into labour. I was excited but also terrified as the realisation that it was happening and the pain I knew to expect came flooding back! However, I had been reading a hypnobirthing book and using the breathing techniques and I honestly know that they helped to keep me calm and manage the pain of the cramps. 

By the time my parents arrived, about 15minutes later, I was on my knees in the kitchen breathing through another contraction and they were a lot closer together and longer in duration. I needed to be at the hospital now. I got myself out to the car and told them I had no time to talk. Davy thankfully drove as quick as he safely could and we got the Ulster hospital in about 15minutes. Walking into the maternity unit towards EOU, I had another contraction and was leaning over the back of the chair when they called me through. I got examined and was told I was 7cm dilated! This was all happening so quickly again. 

Previously with Charlie, I wasn't coping with the pain of contractions, my blood pressure was high and I couldn't go to the home from home suite. This time around, I believe that due to my breathing techniques, my blood pressure stayed low enough that I was taken straight to the home from home unit for my water birth. I was relieved I was getting my preferred birth option. I had my eyes closed and was only focusing on breathing now as the pain intensified more, so Davy and the midwives helped to undress me to my birthday suit. I got into the most gorgeous warm water bath and instantly felt more relaxed. I was also finally given gas and air to use to help with the contractions. 

After another examination I was told that I would soon be pushing as I was now 9cm dilated. I had only been in the bath 5minutes. I said I wasn't ready and the midwives just calmly told me, I had no choice the baby was ready to come. I was told to start breathing and pushing, and being in the water helped so much. About three pushes later and Hannah was born into the water. I couldn't believe it, I had just done it and this birth experience was totally different from my first birth.

I was taken out of the bath as I had lost over half a litre of blood during birth. I was just so tired and happy and overwhelmed! I had arrived at the hospital at 7.45pm and Hannah was born at 8.16pm! 

As I was sorted out below, another midwife brought Hannah over for cuddles. Davy had told them about Charlie and his HD and how we were hoping that Hannah didn't have this and so we needed her to poo. They understood our anxious concern and when Hannah had her first meconium poo, they midwife brought her over so we could see!! Only an HD parent will understand the elation that I felt at seeing my babies poo!


This birth was hands down a positive experience and I only wish that I had known about hypnobirthing for my first birth with Charlie. With Charlie I wasn't managing the pain and was so out of control with my breathing that I found the whole thing traumatic. With Hannah I actually felt in control of my pain, I had managed to get to 9cm with nothing but my own breathing!

Finally we were a family of four, a gentleman's family with one boy and one girl! I couldn't be happier and Charlie was so pleased to meet his little sister. He is so protective of Hannah and loves kissing and hugging her. 





Xx



Comments